Schools Worldwide Removing the WiFi and Reducing Exposure
This page hosts a running list of INDIVIDUAL schools that have removed Wi-Fi or reduced Wi-Fi radiation. Please note that the countries of Cyprus, France, Belgium and Israel are among the countries that have banned Wi-Fi in classrooms for young children and/or taken major measures to reduce radiation exposure. Learn more about government and country action here.
Introductory information for teachers and decision makers includes:
SCHOOLS THAT ARE REMOVING WI-FI OR REDUCING CHILDREN’S EXPOSURE
NOTE: EHT is listing these actions as they happen. Sometimes things change over time. Please contact us if information needs updating. Please also contact us if a school needs to be on this list that we have not identified.
2017: San Diego California USA Waldorf School: Adopted CHPS guidelines wired internet/electronic free zones/and hardwired phones per article published in Renewal Magazine.
2017: Sacramento California USA Waldorf School: WiFi will be turned off when not in use starting in Fall 2017.
2017: Wi-fi OFF Switches Installed in the Fiskars primary school. Read press release.
2017: Cyprus Bans Wi-Fi from kindergartens, removes Wi-Fi from elementary classrooms and halts deployment. Original Translated Directive from the Cyprus Minister of Culture and Education ; Read Press release on Cyprus Wi-Fi removal from elementary classrooms
2016: Haifa, Israel: Haifa Mayor Yona Yahav (of Israel’s 3rd largest city) ordered all schools to have wireless removed and replaced with wired connections. Watch Haifa School IT Chief describe how they removed/reduced wireless.
- Read Krayot news article: Haifa Cuts off Wi-Fi in Schools
- Hamodia article: Haifa to Shut School Wireless Networks
- Reshet TV Report
- News Report Israel CH2 Documentary – “How do we kill our self – Radiation” with unofficial English translation
- News Report “Parents Fight Wireless Radiation in Schools” on Supreme Court Case in Israel
2016 Lowell School, Washington DC
- In the kindergarten wing in 2016, the Wi-Fi hotspots were removed and the teachers are given ethernet and adapters so that computers and class technology can be ethernet connected (corded) to reduce RF-EMF exposure.
2016 Italy: Turin Mayor Chiara Appendino laid out plans “to cut back on Wi-Fi in state schools and government buildings over concerns that radiation might damage people’s health”.
2016: Onteora School District in New York State USA
- April 20, 2016 Meeting Minutes Page 2.
- District adopts “Best Practices with Wi-Fi stating:
- “Turn off the device when not in use and at the end of each day. If device is to stay on, turn Wi-Fi off when not in use. Always place device on a solid surface.Viewing distance should be a minimum of 12 inches from the screen.Staff was asked by the Principals to post this in areas that contain computers and devices. They are reminding staff to follow it.”
- “Mayor Livio Tola told the town’s high school and elementary school to return to using cables to connect to the internet after reading that the electromagnetic waves given off by wireless routers were especially harmful to young children.”
- The Local Newspaper article – “Italian town shuts down wifi over health fears”
- Torino News Article – “Ivrea, The Mayor Removes WiFi as it Could Be Dangerous”.
- Children use ipads in flight mode on desk and parents may request that their child use an Ethernet cord. Children are taught about the health precautions as part of their cyber citizenship.
Denmark Schools that have removed or reduced wireless exposure
Bjedstrup elementary School og Børnehus, (school and kindergarten) Student must hand over cell phones before classes + no wifi in school premises
Hammer Free Private School – all internet connections are hard wired
Vejlernes private school – no wifi
Kastanjely kindergarten – no wifi
- Official resolutions number 1 and Resolution 2
- Their two resolutions decided: a) to ban wifi in school and install a wired system for the use of internet and b) Reject the request of the local government (Municipality) to install an antenna on the school roof for the wireless signal providing for the “Wireless city” program. The resolution also asks the Municipality to install the antenna at a reasonable distance from school.
2016: The Piemonte Region has adopted a resolution to limit EMF exposure
- Original Resolution
- Resolution limits the use of wifi in schools and is considerate to the problem of EHS people.
2015: Ashland Public Schools, Mass (USA)
Ashland is the first school district to vote to enact “Best Practices” in classrooms and publicly post these instructions which include turning off Wi-Fi when not in use and keeping devices in a table, not a lap
News article on these “Best Practices” to turn the WiFi off when not in use,
- Download teacher training PPT slides . Video of parent who initiated this
- Video of school board member discussing the process
- Magazine article on Ashland’s Decision
2016: Shearwater The Mullumbimby Steiner School, Australia, 100% Wi-Fi Free School
2016: Yallingup Steiner School Australia , WiFi Free Classrooms
2016: Linuwel School , Australia ,WiFi in some classrooms, Can accommodate children with EHS.
2016: Cairns Hinterland Steiner School , Australia, WiFi Free Classrooms (may be available in other areas)
2016: Wild Cherry School, Australia , 100% Wi-Fi Free
2015: St. Cajetanus School, Belgium: Wired Internet installed and wireless removed.
2015: Washington Waldorf School, Maryland, USA: Removed Wi-Fi Routers from Buildings, Ethernet installed. WAMU Report featuring the Head of School
2015: Freshwater Creek School, Australia, 100% Wi-Fi Free
2015: London, Acorn School: Screen Free. Read News article
2015: Lorien Novalis School, Australia, 100% Wi-Fi Free School Preschool to 12th grade.
2015: Cairns Hinterland School, Australia, WiFi Free Classrooms for EHS
2014: Acorn Hill School, Maryland: Reducing exposure to Wi-Fi. In process.
2014: Friends Community School: Wi-Fi turned off in wing for lower elementary school students. WiFi routers moved OUT of classrooms into hallways for older grades to reduce EMF exposure. Ethernet wires made available in classrooms for families who want children on corded (not wireless) computers.
2014: DearCroft Montessori: Hardwired internet to younger grades, limited Wi-Fi Router exposure to older grades.
2014: Portland Waldorf School, Portland Oregon,USA, WiFi removed.
2014: Meeting House Montessori, Braintree Massachusetts, USA, WiFi replaced with ethernet.
2014: Ghent, Belgium, Wi-fi banned from pre-schools and day care.
2014: The St. Augustine School in Italy turned off Wifi and goes back to Wires.
2013 Winlaw Elementary School, B.C. Canada turned off WiFi.
2013 Te Horo Primary School New Zealand Replaced WIFI with cable-based internet.
2013 Kootenay Lakes District School Board BC (One school without Wi-Fi)
2013 Blaise-Cendrars High School, Switzerland. Teachers vote to remove WiFi.
2012 Kivioja primary school in Ylivieska Finland bans phones and minimizes Wireless.
2012: Halton Waldorf, in Burlington Vermont: Remaining free of Wireless Radiation
2011 City of Lakes Waldorf School, WiFi taken out. Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
2011 Aurora School in Ontario removed Wifi and replaced with hardwired.
2011 North Cariboo Christian School in Quesnel, B.C., removed Wi-fi .
2011 Pretty River Academy in Ontario no WiFi.
2011 Wayside Academy, Peterborough, Ontario no Wi Fi.
2010 Surrey, BC Roots and Wings Montessori removed Wi-Fi.
2010 Ontario St. Vincent Euphrasia elementary school: Parents voted to turn off Wi-Fi.
2009 HEROUVILLE-SAINT-CLAIR wi-fi networks removed.
Cell Phone Bans in Schools
This list covers bans of cell phones that occurred after the schools found cell phones in classrooms to be distracting and problematic. It is not necessarily because of the radiofrequency and health issues. This is not a complete list but rather a list as stories make the news starting in 2017. Hyperlinks goto news source