Wireless Safety Proclamation Toolkit
How To Adopt a Cell Phone Wireless Safety Proclamation in Your City
People are raising the issue of cellphone and wireless device safety across the World. You can, too! A Proclamation is an excellent way to raise community awareness on this issue and does not involve changing laws. Please bring this issue to the attention of your local city or town leaders and welcome them to adopt a Proclamation of Cell Phone/Wireless Safety and declare a Cell Phone Awareness Month.
Here are some examples of such efforts in the United States:
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming made a Proclamation of Cell Phone Safety which cites concern over long term health effects as well as the increased risk the radiation poses to children.
- Pembroke Pines, Florida passed Resolution 3362 through the advocacy of Jimmy Gonzalez. This Resolution expressed the City’s “Urgent Concerns” about Wireless Radiation and Health and encourages citizens to read their manuals and it presents information on how to reduce exposure by using a headset or speakerphone.
- Burlingame California City Council voted to include cell phone safety guidelines in their Healthy Living in Burlingame initiative which include the WHO classification and precautions a consumer can take if concerned.
- 2010, Portland Maine: Mayor Mavodenes, Jr. declared October “Cell Phone Awareness Month”
- San Francisco has a Cell Phone Information page with information on how to reduce exposures.
In order for the Council to understand this issue it is important that you send letters, prepare materials and speak at City Council meetings. We have several resources that will be helpful to your efforts.
Resources and Downloads:
- Download EHT’s proposed Proclamation on Wireless Radiation. We recommend this Proclamation as the starting text to base your Proclamation on. (It is USA specific as it cites the EPA text so if you are in another country you can put in text from your governments health authority.)
- Download The Jackson Hole Wyoming Proclamation
- Download the International Policy Actions on Wireless
- Download the Campaign for Safe Cell Phone Use Briefing Book
- Download the Schools, Wireless, and Health: Preliminary Copy Briefing Book
- Read an open Letter from Traci Frantz. She hopes that you will read her letter at a Council meeting to raise awareness of this issue.
- Download a letter from Virginia Farver, whose son passed away from brain cancer.
- View the slideshow below on Tiffany Frantz and her struggle with breast cancer after storing the cell phone in her bra for 5 years.
Stories from Survivors & Non Survivors: Cell Phone-related Brain Cancer
San Francisco’s Right to Know Law
A Consumer’s Right to Know: The Fine Print Manufacturer Warnings
All manufacturers of wireless devices have warnings which describe the minimum distance at which device must be kept away from users in order to not exceed the present legal limits for exposure to wireless radiation. For example, the FCC regulates that the exposure limit for laptop computers and tablets is set when devices are tested 20 cm away from the body. Cell phones are usually tested at about 5/8th an inch and have similar manufacturer’s advice. Read our page on Fine Print Warnings.
Did you read your cell phone manual? Do you know your WI-FI router has a manual too? Do you have a wireless printer at your desk close to your body?
READ THE RESEARCH: