Firefighter Unions Opposing Cell Towers
Firefighter groups in the United States have long opposed cell towers on their stations. Not only that, but in California they have been able to be exempt from the forced placement of towers on their stations because of the strong opposition they have- due to health concerns from the radiation.
On this page we are keeping documentation on the firefighters opposition and we have posted important news videos that cover this issue.
Teacher unions also have made position statements on wireless radiation. Learn more here.
In this news report below- California investigative reporter Julie Watts interviews firefighters and California officials on the SB649 exemption for firefighters.
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FIRE FIGHTERS (IAFF)
- “The IAFF opposes the use of fire stations as base stations for towers and/or antennas for the conduction of cell phone transmissions until a study with the highest scientific merit and integrity on health effects of exposure to low-intensity RF/MW radiation is conducted and it is proven that such sitings are not hazardous to the health of our members.”
- The IAFF Official Position Against Cell Towers on Fire Stations passed in 2004.
- This position was initiated after increasing complaints among firefighters with cellular antennas on their stations coupled with the California study showing neurological damage in California firefighters conducted by Dr. Gunnar Heuser.
Dr. Gunnar Heuser, lead brain studies on firefighters following a cell tower installation on their firestation and found that they were all abnormal . His SPECT brain study on firefighters in 2004 who complained of neurological problems following a cell tower installation at their firestation 5 years ago and found that they were abnormal. The symptoms they experienced were; headaches, memory problems, sleeping problems, depression, and anxiety https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/7022117660.pdf . Dr. Heuser published a study recently on fMRI showing abnormalities in EHS similar to brain injury. Original study published in July 2017, without the controls, full text : Corrigendum to the study, which includes fMRI scans of the controls (non- EHS)
L.A. County Firefighters Local 1014
- Local 1014 has a webpage dedicated to stopping towers because of a plan to install them on over 200 of their stations. http://www.stopcellphonetowers.com/index.html
- The Firefighter’s Website in 2015 http://www.stopcellphonetowers.com/index.html
United Firefighters of Los Angeles City Local 112 IAFF-CIO-CLC Opposes Cell Towers on Their Stations.
- “ It is inexcusable that once again our firefighters in the field were the last to know about a massive 150 million dollar project that could jeopardize their health and safety. … nobody talked to us and we have not heard from one single expert who has told us that this project will be safe.”
- “UFLAC will strongly oppose the use of Fire Stations as base locations for cell towers and/or antennas “
- DownLoad the letter from this LA Firefighters Union Local 112 asking for an immediate halt to cell towers on fire stations.
- Watch videos the these Firefighter Union Presidents testifying to the LA Board of Supervisors on the Issue here.