Peterborough Ontario, Canada Issues Information on Accommodation Measures for Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity
Peterborough Ontario, Canada Issues Information Sheet
on Accommodation Measures for Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity
The City of Peterborough in Ontario, Canada has developed an information sheet to help organizations accommodate individuals who have electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS).
Symptoms of electromagnetic sensitivity include ” headaches, concentration difficulties, sleep problems, depression, a lack of energy, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms…The primary method of treatment should mainly focus on the prevention or reduction of EMF exposure, that is, reducing or eliminating all sources of high EMF exposure at home and at the workplace. The reduction of EMF exposure should also be extended to public spaces such as schools, hospitals, public transport, and libraries to enable persons with EHS an unhindered use (accessibility measure).” – EUROPAEM EMF Guideline 2016
The Peterborough document details how to limit exposure to EMF emissions from mobile devices, limit exposure to EMF emissions from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth sources and limit exposure to fluorescent lighting and older style LED lighting.
The City recommendations include:
- Notify all meeting attendees to set mobile phones to airplane mode at the start of the meeting. Temporarily disable City owned WAP device(s) in immediate proximity to the meeting room.
- Temporarily disable Nexicom owned WAP (Wireless) device(s) in immediate proximity to the meeting room.
- Provide 48 hours notice, not including weekends, to PTS and/or Nexicom, with meeting start and meeting end times.
- Turn off or minimize amount of fluorescent lighting and older style LED lighting in the meeting room.
- Consider booking meeting rooms with adequate windows to the exterior for natural daylighting.
- Peterborough in Ontario, Canada information sheet on electromagnetic sensitivity
Image of Peterborough City Hall at 500 George Street North in Peterborough Ontario. by MichaelMorritt