Cell Phones and Breast Cancer
Is there a link between cell phone placement and breast cancer? What you Need to Know:
- Cellphones are two-way microwave radios that should not be kept directly on the body.
- The soft fatty tissue of the breast readily absorbs this radiation.
- Case Reports are accumulating of young women with no family history getting a diagnosis of breast cancer. The tumors were unusually located directly underneath the skin where they placed their cell phones in their bra.
- Doctors voice this precautionary advice: Women should not store their cell phones in their bra.
Click on the images below to view a Powerpoint Presentation on Tiffany Frantz and her struggle with breast cancer after storing the cell phone in her bra for 5 years and to read an open Letter from Traci Frantz. She hopes that you will read her letter at a Council meeting to raise awareness of this issue
Cell Phones and Breast Cancer: A Review of the Evidence
Published Research on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risks:
- Electromagnetic field exposure and male breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis of 18 studies
- Read the scientific report: Multifocal Breast Cancer in Young Women with Prolonged Contact between Their Breasts and Their Cellular Phones
- Çiğ et al., Investigation of the Effects of Distance from Sources on Apoptosis, Oxidative Stress and Cytosolic Calcium Accumulation via TRPV1 Channels Induced by Mobile Phones and Wi-Fi in Breast Cancer Cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015
- Kahya et al., Selenium Reduces Mobile Phone (900 MHz)-Induced Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Function, and Apoptosis in Breast Cancer Cells. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2014
- The measured electrical properties of normal and malignant human tissues from 50 to 900 MHz Medical Physics, 1993
- The Ecology of Breast Cancer The promise of prevention and the hope for healing Ted Schettler MD, MPH Chapter 6 starting on page 126 is about cell phones.
- Rethinking Breast Cancer Risk and the Environment: The Case for the Precautionary Principle
- Hormones, hormone metabolism, environment, and breast cancer: a workshop of the National Action Plan on Breast Cancer’s Etiology Working Group
- Medical hypothesis: xenoestrogens as preventable causes of breast cancer
- Effects of pesticides on the ratio of 16 alpha/2-hydroxyestrone: a biologic marker of breast cancer risk
- Can environmental Estrogens cause breast cancer?
- Medical hypothesis: bifunctional genetic-hormonal pathways to breast cancer
- Avoidable causes of breast cancer: the known, unknown, and the suspected
- Recent developments on the avoidable causes of breast cancer
- Association between biomarkers of environmental exposure and increased risk of breast cancer
CELL PHONES AND BREAST CANCER RESOURCES
- Green Gazette:HEALTH ISSUES | Save the Girls. Make the Bra a No-Phone Zone
- CBS News Story: Doctors: Women who store phone in bras at risk for breast cancer
- Prevent Cancer Now: Prevention and Personal Exposures
- Prevent Cancer Now: Printable on The Safer Use of Wireless Communications Devices
- Factsheet on Breast Cancer and The Environment: Breast Cancer Action
- Breast Cancer & Our Environment: The Breast Cancer Fund
- Breast Cancer Risk and Environmental Factors NIEHS FactSheet
- Breast Cancer Action also hosts a series of webinars
- Toxic Cosmetics: Whats in Your Personal Care Products and What You Can Do About It
- New Report on Breast Cancer and the Environment: A Briefing for Advocates
- Protecting Our Health and Environment: Uniting to Change U.S. Chemical Policy
- Toxic Cosmetics Part 2: Demanding Stronger Regulation
- The Ecology of Breast Cancer with Ted Schettler, MD, MPH