Top 10 Facts About Cell Phones and Wi-Fi
1. All cell phones and wireless devices emit radiation.
Numerous peer reviewed published research studies shows that these made-made pulsed electromagnetic frequencies cause adverse biological effects and are very different than the natural electromagnetic fields that have existed in the environment for years. Research on humans has found an association between cell phone use and serious effects such as brain cancer, headaches, damage to the brain and immune system. Yale studies found that cellular radiation exposure during pregnancy led to increased hyperactivity and memory problems in offspring.
2. Our brains and bodies are penetrated by this radiation.
According to the International Agency for the Research on Cancer:
“the average radio frequency radiation energy deposition for children exposed to mobile phone RF is two times higher in the brain and 10 times higher in the bone marrow of the skull, compared with mobile phone use by adults”.
(Read it on page 44 of the IARC Monograph on Radiofrequency Fields)
Research also has found that radiation from tablets penetrates more deeply into children’s brains (Ferreira 2015.) A 2018 study that considered the radiation dose into the brain of teenagers found that teens who used cell phones up to their head had decreased memory performance on researchers tests.
3. Cell phones and wireless devices emit radiation constantly, even when you are not talking or using the phone.
Medical doctors have written many letters to schools calling for administrators to reduce exposures to this radiation in schools. Harvard doctors have published research linking electromagnetic fields to autism.
4. Every wireless device has fine print instructions buried in its user manual that specify a distance between the device and user that should not be surpassed.
For example, most cell phone manuals state the phone should be held at specified distance (often around 5/8th of an inch) from the body. If you look in the user manual for your DECT cordless home phone, wireless laptop or printer, it will state that the device should be at least 20 cm (approximately 8 inches) away from the body to prevent “exceeding FCC radiation exposure limits”. These instructions are in the user manuals because cell phones and wireless devices are tested for user radiation exposures at those specific distances.
In other words, if you are using a laptop on your lap, you are exposing yourself to untested radiation emissions that could exceed the radiation levels our government regulations presently allow. When you use a device closer than the manufacturer’s distance instructions, you risk exposing yourself to radiation levels that our federal government understands can cause sterility, brain damage and tissue damage. Learn more about the fine print warnings on various devices here.
5. These fine print instructions DO NOT protect you from all health effects.
6. Research shows low levels of this radiation impact the brain and reproductive system.
7. Radiation emitted by cell phones and wireless is officially linked to cancer.
The United States National Toxicology Program completed a $30M study that found “clear evidence” of cancer in male rats exposed to long term low level radio-frequency radiation. Due to these findings, several scientists have published that the weight of current peer reviewed evidence supports the conclusion that radiofrequency radiation should be regarded as a human carcinogen.
8. As the evidence linking wireless radiation to cancer has significantly increased since 2011, now scientists state that cell phone wireless radiation is a human carcinogen.
In 2016, a major US government study found cell phone radiation caused increased cancers (brain and heart nerve) in rats exposed at low levels for two years. The results were stunning because the cancers the rats developed are the same type humans are developing after long term cell phone use.
Furthermore, since 2011, new research studies have been published linking wireless radiation to cancer. CERENAT (a case control national study in France) again showed a statistically significant association between glioma (brain cancer) and long-erm cell phone use. Another study out of Jacobs University (which replicated previous study results) showed that RF acted as a tumor promoter. The study details in its conclusion how, “Numbers of tumors of the lungs and livers in exposed animals were significantly higher than in sham-exposed controls. In addition, lymphomas were also found to be significantly elevated by exposure.”
In light of this published science, several World Health Organization experts are stating that the evidence has now substantially increased. Dr. Anthony B. Miller has testified on the increased evidence, and he and colleagues have written several published papers detailing their opinion and in 2018 he was lead author on a published literature review concluding that cell phone wireless radiation is a human carcinogen. Scientists from Israel researching cancr in radar operators also concluded that the evidence indicates radiofrequency can cause cancer (Peleg 2018.) Dr. Hardell and colleagues have long published papers concluding that that wireless “should be regarded as human carcinogen requiring urgent revision of current exposure guidelines.”
9. Solutions exist: Hundreds of scientists worldwide recommend taking action to reduce exposures to wireless devices because of the serious health effects from these devices.
In 2014, a group of U.S. physicians, including the Chief of Obstetrics at Yale Medicine, presented scientific studies at the launch of the BabySafe Project, issuing specific recommendations to pregnant women on how to decrease wireless exposures in order to decrease risks to babies’ brain development. We do not have to give up our technology but we can make smarter choices about the way we use it. Every person can easily decrease exposure to this radiation by making simple changes every day.
10. Government regulations are outdated and antiquated.
Regulations are antiquated because they have not kept pace with the manner in which consumers use devices—usage has changed considerably since 1996. For example, the regulations only consider one radiating device at a time and do not account for a residence, classroom, or workplace, healthcare, retail, recreational and other venues filled with multiple devices. The regulations do not consider that people carry their cell phones tightly in a front pocket of jeans or in a bra. They do not consider that laptops would be placed on laps by schoolchildren in the classroom. Regulations did not consider research that looked at long-term exposures to vulnerable groups such as children, pregnant women or to medically compromised individuals. Guidelines were set by only considering the impact to a full-grown man. Many scientists and major medical organizations have written about the inadequacy of these outdated guidelines.
Final Bonus Fact: No safe level of this radiation has been identified.
Scientific studies have not been done to develop a “safe level” of exposure. The latest science clearly shows that biological effects could occur at non-thermal (non-heating) levels. Science also shows that children and the developing pregnancy are far more vulnerable to these damaging effects. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) did not do the research necessary to define a safe level that the public can be exposed to without harmful effects.
In a 2015 study (replicating prior scientific findings linking RF to cancer promotion), the researchers state, “Since many of the tumor-promoting effects in our study were seen at low to moderate exposure levels (0.04 and 0.4 W/kg SAR), thus well below exposure limits for the users of mobile phones, further studies are warranted to investigate the underlying mechanisms.” and “We hypothesize that these tumor-promoting effects may be caused by metabolic changes due to exposure. Our findings may help to understand the repeatedly reported increased incidences of brain tumors in heavy users of mobile phones.”
No medical organization has determined a “safe level” of this radiation for long-term exposure to children. In fact, medical organizations worldwide – including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the largest group of children’s doctors in the United States and the Athens Medical Association and Vienna Medical Association – are calling for eliminating and reducing radiofrequency cell phone wireless radiation exposures.
PARENT TOOLKIT TO ADVOCATE ON SAFE TECHNOLOGY IN SCHOOL
- Questions and Answers on Wi-Fi and Cell Phones in Schools: This two pager is filled with links and resources on why and how to reduce wireless radiation exposure at schools.
- Checklist on How to Reduce EMF and Wireless Radiation for Schools: A list of actionable steps every school can take to eliminate and reduce EMF exposure at school.
- CHPS Low EMF Criteria:The Collaborative for High Performance Schools has developed Best Practices for LOW EMF classrooms that details how schools can replace wireless networks with wired networks.
- Letter on School Wi-Fi and Health for Principal
This draft letter compiles the latest research and you can take portions of it or all of it to send it to your school administrator to begin this important conversation on safe technology.
- Letters by Scientists on Wireless and Cell towers for School Administrators: This webpage has a compendium of letters (downloadable PDF’s) written to school officials regarding wireless in schools and cell towers at schools.
- Peer Reviewed Published Science on Wireless Radiation, Published Science on Wi-Fi Specifically
- Youtube Playlist on Wi-Fi in Schools: News Reports on schools removing the Wi-Fi and scientific lectures.
Printable Resources to Educate Parents
- What Parents Need to Know About Wireless Radiation Factsheet
- BabySafe Project: “Reduce Your Wireless Exposure” English Brochure, Spanish Brochure
- New Jersey Educational Association “Minimize health risks from electronic devices” NJEA Online Article, PDF of Recommendations
- American Academy of Pediatrics Recommendation Protect The Ones You Love Card English, Spanish
- EHT Compendium of Printable Factsheets, Brochures and Fact Sheets on Wireless and Children: This webpage compiles a variety of resources that you can download and print to spread awareness on this issue.
EHT has developed webpages to inform consumers on this issue and to document the scientific research in full.
Color Charts From the BioInitiative Report: Interested in what health effects the research shows at different radiation levels? These charts put into order scientific research conducted at various radiation exposure levels so you can see at a glance the effects found. Read the full Bioinitiative 2012 Report here. Read the color charts here.
Vitality Magazine: The Link Between Wireless Radiation and a Host of Serious Illnesses by Frank Clegg
Planet JH: New study shows cell phones cook your brain by Dr. Devra Davis