Italy – Policy Recommendations On Cell Phones, Wireless Radiation & Health
2018: The City Council of Bologna unanimously approved an initiative to inform the public about the health risks of cell phone and wireless radiation in light of the NTP and Ramazzini Institute studies. According to news reports the action calls for the Council to:
- Inform the public about the health risks of cell phone and wireless radiation
- Invite mayor Virginio Merola and the junta “to take action, including with the Emilia-Romagna Region, with the Ausl and the competent institutions, through appropriate communication channels, to launch a public information campaign, so that the population citizen is aware of the risks involved in using mobile phones inappropriately. “
- Proposes to the mayor “to request a commitment in this sense also to telephone companies”.
Read June 26, 2018 News Report bologna.repubblica.it “The telephone companies inform about the risks of the mobile phone”: the appeal from Bologna”
2017: Decree of the Environment Minister has recommendations on reducing EMF.
Section 220.127.116.11 of the Decree recommends reducing exposure to indoor electromagnetic pollution
- Reduce low frequency magnetic fields: “In order to reduce as far as possible the indoor exposure to low frequency magnetic fields (ELFs) induced by electrical panels, uprights, conductor dorsals, etc.” the design of the plants must provide that meters and electric panels are outside the building and take measures to reduce levels.
- Reduce Radio frequency radiation: Reduce as much as possible the indoor exposure to high-frequency magnetic fields (RF) equip with alternative data transfer systems to wi-fi, eg. cable connection or Powerline communication (PLC) technology.
- This was started by a Communication by ECC (COM(2003) 302), to European Parliament about: Integrated Product Policy: Develop the concept of “environmental lifecycle.
- Read the 2017 Decree of the Environment Minister page 20-21.
2016: Mayor of Borgofranco d’Ivrea ordered Wi-Fi to be turned off in schools. “Mayor Livio Tola told the town’s high school and elementary school to return to using cables to connect to the internet after reading that the electromagnetic waves given off by wireless routers were especially harmful to young children.”
- The Local News Article: “Italian town shuts down wifi over health fears.”
- Torino News Article: “Ivrea, The Mayor Removes WiFi as it Could Be Dangerous”.
2015: State Parliament of South Tyrol voted to reconfirm the precautionary principle: The State Government was mandated:
- To replace existing wireless networks whenever possible with networks that emit less radiation at schools, preschools, hospitals, nursing homes, and other public facilities.
- Establish a working group whose mandate it is to assess these new technologies and their exposure levels. With regard to wireless communication technologies, mobile Internet access, and public health, the working group shall clarify which technologies emit less radiation and provide sustainable technology options and
- To start an education and awareness campaign that informs about possible health risks, especially regarding the unborn, infants, children, and adolescents and that develops guidelines for a safer use of cell phones, smartphones, and Wi-Fi.
- Previous Hearing at the Parliament of South Tyrol, 29 April 2015 – “hearing on the effects of mobile radio”
- Discussion at the Plenary Session: “Mobile Communications, Refugees”
- Kompetenzinitiative News Article: “Parliament of South Tyrol Reconfirms Precautionary Principle”
- Official Resolution – “WLAN, mobile radio, radiation exposure: does the precautionary principle apply”
2012 Italian Supreme Court Ruling: Man’s brain tumor was caused by his cell phone use.
- The National Institute for Workmen’s Compensation must compensate a worker with head tumor due to cell use.
- Reuters News Article – “Italy court ruling links mobile phone use to tumor”
- RT News Article – “Cancer cells: Italian court rules ‘mobile phones can cause brain tumors’”
- Daily Mail News Article – Mobile phones CAN cause brain tumours, court rules in landmark case.
Lecce, Italy, “Istituto Comprensivo Alighieri- Diaz” School banned wifi: Their two resolutions decided:
- To ban wifi in school and install a wired system for the use of internet and reject the request of the local government (Municipality) to install an antenna on the school roof for the wireless signal providing for the “Wireless city” program.
- The resolution also asks the Municipality to install the antenna at a reasonable distance from school.
The Piemonte Region Council adopted a resolution to limit EMF exposure by limiting the use of wifi in schools and be considerate to the problem of EHS people.
- Original Resolution – “Adoption of the Precautionary Principle exposition Installations in Wireless Environments in School”
The Italian Society for Preventive and Social Pediatrics has officially called to prohibit cell phones for children under 10 years old.
- Giuseppe Di Mauro, president of the Italian Society of social and preventive pediatrics [Società italiana di pediatria preventiva e sociale (www.sipps.it)] “We do not know all the consequences associated with cell phone use, but excessive use could can lead to concentration and memory loss, increase in aggressiveness and sleep disturbances.” and he cites electromagnetic fields stating“The damage to health are increasingly evident”
- Il Tirreno Tuscany News Article – “Pediatricians: Phone Alarm for Kids”
2016 – Turin Mayor Chiara Appendino laid out plans “to cut back on Wi-Fi in state schools and government buildings over concerns that radiation might damage people’s health”.
- The Local News Report “Turin could slash Wi-Fi over ‘radiation’ concerns”