International Actions to Halt and Delay 5G
International Actions to Halt and Delay 5G
The growing awareness of the health impact of the 4G/5G densification is resulting in action by policymakers worldwide. Cities are issuing resolutions and calls for research before deployment. There are citizen organizations in almost every country working on this and a growing list of public officials speaking out.
For example, in the United States the state of New Hampshire has a 5G Bill HB 522 that asks, “Why have 1,000s of peer-reviewed studies, including the recently published U.S. Toxicology Program 16-year $30 million study, that are showing a wide range of statistically significant DNA damage, brain and heart tumors, infertility, and so many other ailments, being ignored by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC)?” and, “Why have more than 220 of the worlds leading scientists signed an appeal to the WHO and the United Nations to protect public health from wireless radiation and nothing has been done?”
EHT is compiling a list of actions. This is NOT a complete list. Please email EHT at [email protected] let us know actions we need to add. Note that US City actions are detailed on the EHT page on City 4G/5G policy.
A briefing paper by the European Parliament Think Tank “Effects of 5G wireless communication on human health”
- 11-02-2020/ The fifth generation of telecommunications technologies, 5G, is fundamental to achieving a European gigabit society by 2025. The aim to cover all urban areas, railways and major roads with uninterrupted fifth generation wireless communication can only be achieved by creating a very dense network of antennas and transmitters. In other words, the number of higher frequency base stations and other devices will increase significantly. This raises the question as to whether there is a negative impact on human health and environment from higher frequencies and billions of additional connections, which, according to research, will mean constant exposure for the whole population, including children. Whereas researchers generally consider such radio waves not to constitute a threat to the population, research to date has not addressed the constant exposure that 5G would introduce. Accordingly, a section of the scientific community considers that more research on the potential negative biological effects of electromagnetic fields (EMF) and 5G is needed, notably on the incidence of some serious human diseases. A further consideration is the need to bring together researchers from different disciplines, in particular medicine and physics or engineering, to conduct further research into the effects of 5G. The EU’s current provisions on exposure to wireless signals, the Council Recommendation on the limitation of exposure of the general public to electromagnetic fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz), is now 20 years old, and thus does not take the specific technical characteristics of 5G into account.
March 2020: Slovenia halts 5G
5G has been halted in Slovenia
Sloenia government websites
Official Government of the Republic of Slovenia web site page: Minister Rudi Medved: Questions regarding 5G are addressed from a health, ethical and safety point of view
A letter – in Slovenian and unofficial English translation on official Ministry of Public Administration memo and with Minister name on it stating legal basis for further 5g activities in Slovenia were withdrawn from Government meeting also due to possible health effects of 5g.
- “The Agency for Networks and Communication Services (AKOS) of the Republic of Slovenia (regulatory body that regulates the communication sectors) has been instructed to stop the assignment of the 5G frequency spectrum . The Slovenian moratorium is supported by the Slovenian Minister of Public Administration Rudy Medved, who in the division of the medical-scientific community on the biological effects of unexplored radio frequencies has opted for the adoption of the precautionary principle : “I am aware that we will not find a definitive answer, since there has not been one globally. 5G technology has not been established in practice to the extent that studies could produce results by which we could conclusively say that 5G is completely harmless . ” The decision came after the Ministry of Public Administration convened a public consultation on the security of 5G technologies together with Gregor Kos , president of the non-ideological political party For a healthy society and Igor Šajn of the ecological consultancy organization Biology and Construction.. The meeting, scheduled for four hours, lasted six hours. The Slovenian party website reads: “ Ban on the use of wifi technology in kindergartens, schools, hospitals, nursing homes and in the second phase of all public institutions. Moratorium on the introduction of 5G based on the precautionary principle, thanks to sufficient scientific research to demonstrate the negative effects of electromagnetic radiation on human health, nature and the environment “.
PaPau New Guinea
The Kalamata City Council decided not to continue the 5G pilot program after a three hour debate. News coverage: “The city council decided to suspend 5G in Kalamata”
There are 26 counties in Ireland and 6 have voted to stop 5G.
Six County Councils: Clare, Roscommon, Leitrim, Wicklow, County Laois and Sligo County Councils
Co Clare – June 2019 – Cllr Clare Colleran Molloy
- “In light of a recent appeal to the EU from 180 scientists and doctors from 36 countries warning about the danger of 5G, which will lead to a massive increase in involuntary exposure to electromagnetic radiation, that Clare County Council in exercising its responsibility to protect the environment and the public from harm: opposes the roll-out of 5G in the County; and calls on CommReg to deny licensing for its roll-out; and calls on the Minister for Communication, Climate Change and the Environment, to establish a working group to establish the facts about the radiation impact of 5G on the environment & human health due to the current questionable scientific knowledge.”
Co. Roscommon – July 2019 – Cllr Orla Leyden:
- “That Roscommon County Council opposes the (1) testing of 5G and the roll out of 5G in County Roscommon, (2) calls on ComReg to deny licencing for its rollout and (3) calls on the Minister for Communications, Climate Change and the Environment to establish the facts about the radiation impact of 5G on the environment and human health with reference to global scientific knowledge.”
Co. Leitrim – September 2019 – Cllr Justin Warnock:
- “That Leitrim County Council, in exercising its responsibility to protect the environment and the public from harm, and in invoking the precautionary principle in relation to 5G, opposes the testing of 5G, the roll out of 5G, and any action that would facilitate the deployment of 5G in the County, calls on ComReg to deny licencing for its roll out, and calls on the Minister for Communications, Climate Change and the Environment to establish the facts about the radiation impact of 5G on the environment and human health with reference to global scientific knowledge.”
Co. Sligo – September 2019 – Cllrs Martin Baker, Michael Clarke, Martin Connolly, Gerard Mullaney, Dara Mulvey, Joe Queenan and Paul Taylor:
- “That Sligo County Council delays (1) the testing of 5G and the roll-out of 5G in County Sligo (2) calls on ComReg to delay the licensing of its roll-out and (3) calls on the Minister for Communication, Climate Action and the Environment to establish the facts about the radiation impact of 5G, and to delay the roll-out across the country until a full assessment of the health and environmental implications are carried out with a report compiled and presented to the Oireachtas.”
Co. Wicklow – October 2019 – Cllr Tom Fortune and Mary Kavanagh
- “Wicklow county Council has a social responsibility to serve, inform and protect the public and environment from exposure to harm, and therefore it opposes the roll-out of unregulated 5G in the county of Wicklow based on the precautionary principle pending the enactement by Dail Eireann of protective legislation. In the meantime, it is proposed that a 5G Advisory Council Committee or working group be established (including independent representatives) who would be mandated to report back to the Council on the potentially harmful effects of wireless EMF on the environment and in particular on our carbon footprint”
A vast number of Facebook pages (and online petitions) can be found in Ireland: Wireless technologies awareness Kinvara, #Stop 5G Ireland, Stop 5G Monaghan – Ireland, Stop5GConnacht&Leinster, Stop 5G Cavan – Fermanagh, Stop 5G Roscommon, Stop 5G Waterford, Stop 5G Kinsale & Surrounding Villages, Stop 5G Dublin, Stop 5G Donegal Public Group, Stop 5G Dingle, 5G awareness Dungarvan and An Rinn, Stop 5G Wexford, 5G Awareness Ireland, No5GNI.
County Laois – November 2019
Belgium, Brussels, Radiation concerns halt Brussels 5G development, for now, HLN Brussels Times, 01/04/2019
As of March 27, 2020 there were 180 municipalities in Italy opposing 5G.
Florence, Italy “It causes damage to the body!” Florence brakes on 5G and applies the Precautionary Principle. Motion in defense of health approved (almost) unanimous, EXCLUSIVE NEWS OASI SANA, 05/04/2019
Florence, Italy Florence will use the precautionary principle for the rollout of 5G, Lennart Hardell’s Blog, 08/04/2019
XII Municipality of Rome, Italy A Municipality of Rome votes against 5G: what will the Giunta do? Terra Nuova, 28/03/2019
Municipality of Rocca di Papa, Italy 5G moratorium approved in Rocca di Papa (Rome), the city council deliberates on the precaution: “We do not authorize technologies that can aggravate the unhealthiness” EXCLUSIVE NEWS OASI SANA, 24/04/2019
Montecitori Palace, Rome, Italy Stop 5G: a parliamentary motion commits the Government to the moratorium, Ortica Web, 20/05/2019
Previously Oasis Sana reported the following actions by Mayors and municipalities in Italy to halt 5G have been approved. For example:
- Rome Capital City Hall XII APPROVED MOTION
- Municipality of Florence MOTION APPROVED
- Municipality of Rocca di Papa (Rome) RESOLVED APPROVED
- Municipality of Savignano Irpino (Avellino ) RESOLVED APPROVED
- Municipality of Viareggio (Lucca) RESOLVES APPROVED
- Municipality of Cinto Euganeo (Padua) APPROVED RESOLUTION
- Municipality of Cervaro (Frosinone) APPROVED RESOLUTION
- Municipality of Fresagrandinaria (Chieti) MOTION APPROVED
- Municipality of Conca Casale (Isernia) MOTION APPROVED
- Municipality of Marsaglia (Cuneo) MOTION APPROVED
- Municipality of Sesto Fiorentino (Florence) MOTION APPROVED
- Municipality of Campiglia Cervo (Biella) RESOLUTION APPROVED
- Municipality of San Gregorio Matese (Caserta) PROHIBITION OF THE MAYOR AT 5G
- Note: Dozens of cities (over 140) have approved motions since this list was posted in 2019 and the full list can be found at the Italian Alliance to Stop 5G.
The following City Councils have passed motions to halt 5G until safety data provided: Brighton, Hove, Devonshire, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, Frome, Totnes, Wells, Glastonbury, Trafford.
11/2019 Wells Somerset, England
“This Council has a responsibility to protect the public and environment from exposure to harm, albeit unpredictable in the current state of scientific knowledge, and therefore opposes the roll-out of 5G in the Parish of Wells City Council – based on the ‘Precautionary Principle’ – until further information is revealed.” –Minutes of Wells City Council Meeting
11/2019 Lampeter Town Council
- “Lampeter Town Council has agreed to ‘draw a line in the sand’ and refuse to endorse the rollout of 5G technology pending more scientific research on any potential harmful effects”–Town council takes stand against 5G – Cambrian News, 20th November 2019
October 21, 2019 Shepton Mallet, Somerset council blocks 5G roll out until ‘Government can prove its safe’
- Somerset Live, Shepton Mallet Somerset Blocks 5G
West Monkton Parish council in Taunton Somerset resolution tonight to apply the PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE to the rollout of 5G.
- “Even though parish councils can’t stop 5G infrastructure coming into our communities, it sends out a clear signal to central government that there is an issue , it creates local awareness through media coverage, helps other councils to follow suit and creates a ripple affect and ground swell. Please 5G campaigners call you local parish clerk and ask to speak about 5G , which is normally 5 mins, mention that the precautionary principle has now been applied in Glastonbury, Frome, Sheppton Mallet, Wellington, West Monkton, Totnes and Kingsbridge.” Facebook link of residents sharing the news.
10/2019: Brighton City Council bans 5G masts.
10/2019: Hove City Council bans 5G masts.
- Read news report “Brighton and Hove City Council join growing list of local authorities banning 5G masts”
10/2019: UK, Devonshire officials ‘ban’ new installations.
- News Report: Town’s war with 5G: Devonshire officials ‘ban’ installation of new high-speed network after campaigners demand further research into its effects on health.
- Totnes mayor Jacqi Hodgson, a Green Party county councilor, said: ‘Our concern is that there will be a much higher blanket of radiation all around us.’
UK Frome, Somerset voted to apply the precautionary principle.
- News Reports: Frome could be second town in Somerset to oppose 5G roll-out due to health impact concerns
- Frome Town Council discuss 5G: Town Council Website
- “The hotly debated subject of 5G was discussed by Frome Town Councillors at July’s Council Meeting. The Councillors agreed the following recommendation: Frome Town Council has a moral responsibility to protect public health and the local environment. Until there is more independent scientific consensus that 5G wireless radiation is harmless to humans and the environment, FTC adopts the precautionary principle and will not endorse the rollout of 5G. Leader of the Council, Rich Ackroyd said, “Clearly Frome Town Council is not in a position to ban or allow 5G to go ahead in our town. Although our official position doesn’t endorse the rollout it does not mean that Frome Town Council is against 5G, simply that we’re exercising caution until we have more information available.” FTC has agreed to work alongside Glastonbury Town Council to keep abreast of any further developments.”
Totnes council issues moratorium on 5G. A Devon town has become one of the first in the country to try and prevent new 5G mobile phone networks being installed. Totnes Town Council does not have the power to stop new masts going up, but councilors said their moratorium sent the message that they did not want the technology in the town until there was evidence it was safe. Mayor of Totnes Jacqi Hodgson said it was another form of emissions that were not being monitored.” Read Totnes council protests 5G mobile phone networks
Glastonbury Town Opposes 5G: Glastonbury Town Councillors opposed the introduction of 5th Generation (5G) technology in Glastonbury until further information has been obtained on the health effects on residents. At the Glastonbury Town Council meeting on Tuesday 11th June a motion proposed by Cllr Mike Smyth and seconded by Cllr Jon Cousins read as follows:
“This council has a social responsibility to protect the public and environment from exposure to harm, albeit unpredictable in the current state of scientific knowledge, and therefore opposes the roll-out of 5G in the Parish of Glastonbury – based on the precautionary principle – until further information is revealed from a newly convened 5G advisory committee (working group)…..”-Town Council challenges 5G, June 2019
England, Trafford, Trafford Council Rejects 5G, News4Trafford, 11/02/2019
Netherlands, Chamber wants radiation research first, then 5G network, AD News, 04/04/2019
Website of Organization: Movement for Technology Kind to Human (Gibanje za cloveku prijazno tehnologije)
Russia, The Ministry of Defense refused to transmit to the operators the frequencies for 5G, Vedomosti, 28/03/2019
Dutch house of representatives is concerned about the health risks of radiation from the new 5G network. Political parties want to know as a matter of urgency what the 5G dangers are before 5G is rolled out on a large scale. Link
February 2020: The Financial Times just ran an article with the headlines, “Switzerland halts rollout of 5G over health concerns.” Silicon Republic quoted Switzerland’s environmental agency, Das Bundesamt für Umwelt (Bafu), the health agency focused on the issue stating said, “it would not be willing to allow the use of 5G without further testing for the potential impact of radiation.”
2019: Cantons of Geneva, Jura, Kriens, and Neuchatel vote to halt the 5G rollout (no new permits) until safety is shown. Canton of Vaud also issued a resolution but has been reluctant to implement their resolution. News reports state that 5G has been halted due to widespread protests. Switzerland’s government states they will start monitoring radiation levels.
Switzerland refuses to weaken radiofrequency radiation limits: A parliamentary motion demanding a weakening of the precautionary emission limitations for mobile phone base stations has been rejected by the Swiss Parliament, therefore the precautionary installation limit values in the ONIR remain at 4-6 V/m for this type of installations.
5G infrastructure halted
- Switzerland, Health fears prompt Swiss 5G revolt, MSN, 9/18/2019
- Switzerland, Health fears prompt Swiss 5G revolt. AFP Relax News, Yahoo, 9/18/2019
- Switzerland, Opponents of 5G start campaign to force nationwide vote, Swissinfo.ch, 10/15/2019
- Switzerland, Swiss municipality of Kriens stops approvals for 5G antennas, Telecom Paper 2/2020
- Telecom Paper, Swiss municipality of Kriens stops approvals for 5G antennas,2/12/2020
- Geneva, Canton of Vaud, Geneva stops construction of 5G antennas, 20 Minutes Switzerland, 11/04/2019
- Geneva, Canton of Vaud, Geneva blocks the erection of 5G mobile antennas, le News Switzerland, 02/05/2019
- Cantons of Geneva, Vaud, and Neuchatel, Switzerland blocks the deployment of 5G telephony until its security is demonstrated, ABC Society, 14/04/2019
Massive protests in Bern
“On September 21 last year, several thousand people demonstrated in Bern, on the Federal Square, against the new 5G mobile communication standard, considered dangerous for the health of the population, subjected according to protesters to “forced irradiation”.
- Switzerland, Bern, Several thousand protest against 5G in Swiss capital, Swissinfo.ch, 9/21/2019
- Switzerland, Bern, Thousands of Swiss protest 5G wireless over health fears, CNA International, 9/22/2019
- Switzerland, Bern, Thousands protest in Bern against 5G, La Liberte, 9/2019
Switzerland to monitor radiation levels amidst 5G rollout.
“ Switzerland will introduce a monitoring system to assuage concerns about the potential health impact of fifth-generation (5G) mobile frequency emissions and smooth the cutting-edge technology’s rollout, the government said on Wednesday.
The cabinet agreed to have the federal environmental agency measure levels of so-called non-ionising radiation, assess the risks and regularly inform the public about its findings.”
Switzerland to monitor radiation levels.
Jura, Switzerland adopts a resolution for a moratorium of 5G. “Jura Minister of the Environment David Eray believes that it is wise to delay and privilege the precautionary principle in relation to the effects of 5G on health.” Watch News Story.
Cantons of Geneva and Neuchatel officials vote to halt the 5G rollout (no new permits) until safety is shown. Canton of Vaud also issued a resolution but has been reluctant to implement their resolution.
In February 2020, the Canton of Geneva introduced a three-year moratorium on 4G+ and 5G. The amendment to the law stipulates that any new installation will be subject to a permit during this period. This applies to both ‘4G+’ a.k.a. 1st wave 5G, operating at the 3.5 Gigahertz frequency, and 5G at 26 Gigahertz, which has not yet been rolled out in Switzerland. Read the news here
Green Member of Parliament Sabine Glauser Krug in Vaud “asks the State Council to strengthen information and awareness actions concerning non-ionizing radiation emissions.” Read online.
Telecom Paper, Swiss municipality of Kriens stops approvals for 5G antennas,2/12/2020
Geneva, Canton of Vaud, Geneva stops construction of 5G antennas, 20 Minutes Switzerland, 11/04/2019
Geneva, Canton of Vaud, Geneva blocks the erection of 5G mobile antennas, le News Switzerland, 02/05/2019
Cantons of Geneva, Vaud, and Neuchatel, Switzerland blocks the deployment of 5G telephony until its security is demonstrated, ABC Society, 14/04/2019
Canton of Vaud, Swiss canton blocks 5G mobile rollout, le News Switzerland, 11/04/2019
Cantons of Geneva, Vaud, and Jura, May the antennas be built or not? Cantons complain of 5G chaos, Aargauer Zeitung, 5/22/2019
ZURICH (Reuters) – Switzerland, Switzerland to measure RFR levels and monitor potential health risks posed by 5G networks, KFGO, 17/04/2019
Switzerland (Reuters), Switzerland to monitor potential health risks posed by 5G networks, It News, 18/04/2019
Watch below press coverage from a protest in Bern.
The People of Geneva are fighting against 5G antennas, Tribune de Genève, 01 April 2019
In Switzerland, a task force of specialists is analyzing studies on the effects of 5G, Le Matin Dimanche, 31 March 2019
3/2020, Byron Shire Council is the first locality to pass a moratorium on 5G.
Australian Parliament opens up an Inquiry into 5G
- On 13 September 2019 the Minister for Communications, Hon Paul Fletcher MP asked the Committee to inquire into and report on the deployment, adoption, and application of 5G in Australia. The Committee invites written submissions by Friday, 1 November 2019.
“Terms of Reference: The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications and the Arts will inquire into and report on the deployment, adoption, and application of 5G in Australia. 5G refers to the fifth generation of mobile technology, in line with the International Mobile Telecommunications-2020 (IMT-2020) Standard of the International Telecommunications Union and the associated releases of the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). The Committee will:1. Investigate the capability, capacity, and deployment of 5G; 2. Understand the application of 5G, including use cases for enterprise and government.
Matters relating to national security are out of scope for this Committee.”
8/9/ 2019: The Austrian parliament has commissioned study on 5G health effects
According to the Telecom Paper news report, “The Austrian parliament has commissioned a study into the health effects of 5G networks due to concerns among the public the new generation of mobile services could pose risks from increased radiation exposure.
The Advisory Council on Technology Assessment of the Austrian Parliament has decided to obtain expertise in the field and appointed a consortium of the Institute for Technology Assessment of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the Austrian Institute of Technology to conduct a study. The research institutes already provide the parliament with scientific advice on many topics.
The study is expected to be ready by January 2020, providing an overview of the latest research on the topic. The report will be published on the parliament’s website.
11/2019: The Kalamata City Council decided not to continue the 5G pilot program after a three hour debate.
- “The City decided not to renew the contract with the telecommunications company- a contract originally signed for the development of a 5G Pilot program. This is a result of a 6 month effort made by the people of Kalamata to stop the 5G deployment in their town,” stated Dr. Theodore Metsis who has been presenting across the country on the environmental and human health issues posed by 5G.
- News coverage: “The city council decided to suspend 5G in Kalamata”
September 19, 2019: Cyprus Medical Association and the Cyprus Committee on Environment and Children’s Health Submitted POSITION on 5G Deployment in Cyprus to Cyprus Parliamentary Committees on Environment and Health
- The position statement includes that exposure reduction must be regulated by legislation that must provide:
- a.IMPLEMENTATION OF 5G-FREE PROTECTION ZONES for schools, playgrounds and hospitals. PROHIBITION of the use of wireless internet and wireless devices e.g. tablets and mobiles in kindergartens and schools at least up to the age of 15.
Large Protests in Cyprus Public health must be prioritised over phone companies’
City Councils Banning or Halting 5G
April 2020 Sandy Springs Orders Top Work Order for 5G Poles
- “Upon hearing that subcontractors were approaching homeowners during this time of a national pandemic crisis, the city has issued a Stop Work Order on all installation in [residential] neighborhoods until the end of [the] pandemic crisis,” city spokesperson Sharon Kraun said. The installation of poles had already been controversial, with the city and residents critiquing them, but the city has failed to be able to block the installation locally due to state law.”
- Read news article Sandy Springs orders installation of Verizon 5G poles to halt indefinitely, citing pandemic
March 2020; Keene New Hampshire halts 5G
- Read the news article “New Hampshire City Council of Keene approves temporary 5G ban”
- “The council unanimously approved a separate motion, instructing staff to proceed with drafting an ordinance that would create location and design standards for small wireless facilities installed in public rights-of-way. Also known as small cells, these facilities can be used to roll out 5G, the next generation of mobile networks that boasts faster download and upload speeds, as well as previous generations.”
March 2020: Santa Barbara California Pauses 5G
Read news article “Council Hits ‘Big Fat Pause Button’ on 5G Antennas” Santa Barbara City Council Reverses Course, Delays Vote on Verizon Licensing Agreement
Actions by US Cities to Restrict “Small Cells” and/or 5G
- Petaluma, California, no Small Cell shall be within 500 feet of any residence.
- Fairfax and Mill Valley California, small cells prohibited in residential zones
- San Diego County, no small cells located within 1,000 feet of schools, child care centers, hospitals, or churches.
- Mason, Ohio, No small cells in residential areas or within 100 feet of residential property
- Burlington, Massachusetts, annual recertification fees for small cells.
- Baton Rouge, Small cell deployment halted. May 30, 2019, Baton Rouge mayor hits pause on AT&T’s ‘small cell’ towers after complaints from residents
See a full compilation of the US Cities issuing ordinances to slow the densification of 4/5G Antennas at this link USA Cities on 5G Small Cells Action.
California – Notable Court Ruling on Small Cells, California Supreme Court Sides with Cities in Small Cell Faceoff, Government Technology, 05/04/2019
Cities across the country are enacting ordinances to restrict cellular antenna deployment into neighborhoods near schools and homes.
Los Altos California: no antennas in residential areas, 500-foot setback for multi-family residences in commercial districts, 500 ft separation from schools, 1500 ft separation between nodes.
San Diego County, no small cells located within 300 feet of schools, childcare centers, hospitals, or churches, (1000 foot setback for schools was changed to 300 ft setback after industry lobbying), expanded ADA language- whereby sensitive individuals with disabilities and medical conditions who must avoid increased exposure to rf radiation may apply for and receive ADA accommodations such that small cells are not placed within a certain radius of their home or very nearby. Link
Petaluma, California, no Small Cell shall be within 500 feet of any residence.
Fairfax and Mill Valley California, small cells prohibited in residential zones
Mason, Ohio, No small cells in residential areas or within 100 feet of residential property
Burlington, Massachusetts, annual recertification fees for small cells.
See a full compilation of the US Cities issuing ordinances to slow the densification of 4/5G Antennas at this link USA Cities on 5G Small Cells Action.
US State Action
Watch a family speak about how 5G small cells impacted their health in the video below.
Towards Protective Laws on 5G, Wireless and Small Cells
Passed: New Hampshire Bill 522: An act establishing a commission to study the environmental and health effects of evolving 5G technology which asks “Why have 1,000s of peer-reviewed studies, including the recently published U.S. Toxicology Program 16-year $30 million study, that are showing a wide range of statistically significant DNA damage, brain and heart tumors, infertility, and so many other ailments, being ignored by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC)?” and “Why are the FCC-sanctioned guidelines for public exposure to wireless radiation based only on the thermal effect on the temperature of the skin and do not account for the non- thermal, non-ionizing, biological effects of wireless radiation?”
- Read the Comments, Meeting Notes and Agendas for the Commission here http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/statstudcomm/committees/1474/default.html
- Read section 24 of the full act which discusses wireless radiation and health concerns.
- Sec. 24. WIRELESS TECHNOLOGIES; PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT (a) “On or before January 1, 2020, the Commissioner of Health shall submit to the Senate Committees on Health and Welfare and on Finance and the House Committees on Health Care and on Energy and Technology a report on the possible health consequences from exposure to the radio frequency fields produced by wireless technologies, including cellular telephones and FCCregulated transmitters. The report shall include a summary of available scientific data as well as a comparison of various emissions standards and guidelines.
- (b) The purpose of this report is to provide policymakers and the general public information deemed significant by many Vermonters. It is not intended that the information gathered in the report be used to form the basis of policies that are inconsistent with federal law.”
Passed- Louisiana: The Louisiana House voted to have the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and the Department of Health conduct a study on the effects of 5G technology, not just on the environment, but also public health. The Louisiana legislature passed House Resolution 145 with a vote of 103 in favor and zero representatives voting against the measure.
The state of Oregon has passed SB 283 “A bill relating to exposure to radiation in schools in this state; and declaring an emergency.” The Act states that the Oregon Health Authority shall:
- Review peer-reviewed, independently funded scientific studies of the health effects of exposure to microwave radiation, particularly exposure that results from the use of wireless network technologies in schools or similar environments; and
- Report the results of the review to an interim committee of the Legislative Assembly related to education not later than January 2, 2021.
- The review described in paragraph (a) of this subsection must, at a minimum, consist of a literature review of peer-reviewed, independently funded scientific studies that examine the health effects of exposure to microwave radiation on children.
- The Department of Education shall develop recommendations to schools in this state for practices and alternative technologies that would reduce students’ exposure to microwave radiation that the review described in subsection (1) of this section identifies as harmful.
SECTION 2. This 2019 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2019 Act takes effect on its passage.
Proposed State Laws
2020 Proposed: New York State Assemblyman, Thomas Abinanti, has introduced a bill New York Assembly Bill 8637 to study the health and environmental effects of evolving 5G technology.
Proposed in 2019 New York State A08637: Establishes a temporary commission to study the environmental and health effects of evolving 5G technology.
Proposed– Montana Joint Resolution 13: “A JOINT RESOLUTION OF THE SENATE AND THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE STATE OF MONTANA URGING CONGRESS TO AMEND THE FEDERAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT TO ACCOUNT FOR HEALTH EFFECTS OF SITING SMALL CELL NETWORK EQUIPMENT IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS” which states “the State of Montana has long valued its healthy environment and the well-being of its citizens; and the siting of modern small cell network infrastructure in residential areas can create radiation exposure risks for citizens; and section 704 of the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 prohibits state and local governments from regulating wireless service provider infrastructure sitting on the basis of environmental effects. NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE AND THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE STATE OF MONTANA Congress be urged to amend the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 to account for the health effects of sitting small cell network equipment in residential areas.”
United States Resolutions on 5G and Small Cells
2019: Wilton Manors Florida Resolution NO. 2019-064: Urging Members of Congress to Oppose Senate Bill 1699 that streamlines 5G Small Cells and pre-empts local authority.
2019: Clearwater Florida 19-29 Resolution to Initiate A Scientific Study of 5G” the City of Clearwater believes it is in the best interest of its residents and visitors, as well as of all citizens, for the Federal Government to initiate a scientific review of the health and economic impact of 5G technology”
2019: Town of Hillsboro Beach Florida Resolution No. 2019-035: Opposes FL Senate Bill 1699 which preempts local control regarding Small Cell Deployment
2019: Carmel, Indiana: Resolution CC-10-21-19-03: Requests the Indiana State Legislature to take all necessary steps to thoroughly study the effects of 5G technology on humans and to immediately suspend the deployment and use of this technology in Indiana until scientific evidence conclusively establishes that it poses no harm to humans.
Portland City Council in Oregon. The City unanimously approved a resolution calling for the Federal Communications Commission to study the health hazards of 5G technology. The resolution introduced by Commissioner Amanda Fritz said the FCC has not studied such risks, even though studies compiled and released by the European Union found cancer and other risks. Link
Greendale, Wisconsin Resolution No. R2018-20 in November 2018 : The Board of Trustees of the Village of Greendale, County of Milwaukee, State of Wisconsin, passed Resolution No. R2018-20 in November 2018 in opposition to the FCC’s September 26, 2018 Order because the Order s an unprecedented attack on local control of Greendale’s largest asset, the public rights-of-way, for 5G technology; threatens the Village’s responsibility to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its residents; and threatens the Village of Greendale’s designation as a National Historic Landmark. The Village asked the FCC for changes that maintain a reasonable level of local control. The Resolution was sent to the FCC and State and Federal officials.Resolution No. R2018-20 Greendale Wisconsin RESOLUTION RELATING TO EXPANDED USE OF PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY BY WIRELESS PROVIDERS FOR 5G TECHNOLOGY AND OTHER WIRELESS SERVICES, AND ASKING FOR CHANGES THAT MAINTAIN A REASONABLE LEVEL OF LOCAL CONTROL
Increasing Awareness of 5G Health Effects Internationally
- Germany, BfS recommends careful 5G expansion, The Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS), 20/03/2019
- Guernsey, Call to halt 5G technology in Guernsey due to health fears, ITV News, 11/03/2019
- Malta, Brussels 5G scare sparks no action over Huawei in Malta, Malta Today, 12/04/2019
Citizen Petitions on 5G
(Please contact us with petition hyperlinked so we can paste your petition in.)
- Australia, Stop the 5G Rollout in Australia, Change.org
- Canada, Stop 5G from coming to Canada!, Change.org
- Estonia, We need to stop installing 5G technology in Estonia!, Rahvaalgatus.ee
- Germany, Germans petition Parliament to stop 5G auction on health grounds, TELECOMPAPER, 08/04/2019
- Isle of Man, Isle of Man if you are concerned about 5G please act now!, Change.org (Website) (Facebook)
- Republic of Cyprus, Stop 5G in Cyprus, AVAAZ.org Community Petitions
- Switzerland, Petition against 5G and its dangers, Change.org, A 21-year-old nursing school student, Martin Grimm, launched a petition against 5G and its health risks in 5 languages addressed to the President of Switzerland and three others, including the Minister of communications, at the beginning of March. It now has over 50,000 signatures.
- United Kingdom, Stop the Trial of 5G on the Isles of Scilly and Cornwall, 38 Degrees
- United Kingdom, Stop 5G in Bath and North East Somerset, Go Petition
- United Kingdom, The UK EM Radiation Research Trust call for urgent health & safety assessment on 5G, Change.org
- United Kingdom, Pause Bristol’s 5G Rollout, 38 Degrees
See a video on 5G from Australia
This page will be updated soon as we compile more.
Where can I find published research on 5G?
Please go to EHTs page on peer-reviewed published research on 5G
Where can I learn more about 5G?
Letters from the US Congress asking for documentation of safety in regards to the 5G rollout
Chairman Pai’s Response to Members of Congress Regarding the Potential Impact of 5G Deployment on RF Exposure
In a 2019 US Senate hearing on 5G where Blumenthal asks industry representatives about any research on the human health impact of 5G wireless technology and was told that industry is not supporting such research.
See Senator Richard Blumenthal’s Press Release “At Senate Commerce Hearing, Blumenthal Raises Concerns on 5G Wireless Technology’s Potential Health Risks.”
“I believe the American people deserve to know what the health effects are…We are flying blind here on health and safety”.
– Senator Richard Blumenthal