10 Things You Can Do to Reduce the Health Risk from Cell Phones
- Distance is your friend: While talking on your cell phone, prefer to position the cell phone away from your body as far as possible. Whenever possible, use the speaker-phone mode or a airtube wired headset (not a Bluetooth). The electromagnetic field (radiation) is one fourth the strength at a distance of two inches and fifty times lower at three feet.
- Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak or when moving at high speed, such as in vehicles (car, bus, train or airplane) and elevators as automatically power increases to emit a maximum amount of radiation because the phone repeatedly attempts to connect to each nearest network antenna.
- Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body at all times. Do not carry a powered on cell phone in your pocket or bra. Cell phones emit radiation constantly, even when you are not actively using them. Power them 100% off before you carry them near your body.
- Children should only use cell phones for emergencies. Children’s skulls are thinner than adults’ and their brains are still developing. Hence, radiation from cell phones penetrates more deeply into their brains and is likely to cause more damage.
- Do not sleep with your cell phone powered on. Research shows that sleep is disrupted by cell phone radiation. Need an alarm clock? Simply put the phone on “airplane” or “flight” or “off-line” mode, which will stop “wireless” electromagnetic field emissions.
- Use Your Home And Office Corded Landline For Most Conversations: Forward your cell phone to landlines whenever you are at home so you can turn the cell phone off without missing a call. Biological effects can be related to both strength of cell phone radiation dose and duration of exposure, so consider whether or not your communication is urgent. Remember: Use a corded home landline, not a home cordless phone, because those use electromagnetic microwave technology just like cell phones. Most cordless phone base stations constantly emit microwave radiation regardless whether or not any connected handset is in use. The cordless phone handsets also emit microwave radiation. Corded landlines have no radiation emissions and are the best choice.
- Avoid using your cell phone in metal contained spaces like a car, elevator, bus, train or airplane. The metal surroundings reflect the waves inside the vehicle, often increasing your radiation exposure. Your use also passively exposes other persons near you (children, pregnant women, and other adults) to your phone’s electromagnetic radiation fields when you are in an enclosed space.
- Whenever possible, minimize talk time and choose to communicate via text messaging rather than making a voice call, to limit the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body. Hold the phone out, away from your body, when you press “send” and do not rest your phone against your abdomen as you text.
- Protect your fertility. This radiation has been shown to damage sperm and the ovaries. Many people move the phone away from their head to reduce exposure but down to their torso forgetting that a cell phone or laptop to the abdomen results in higher radiation absorption to the reproductive organs.
- Read your cell phone manual to find the minimum distance the federal government recommends that your cell phone must be kept away from your body. Keeping it closer than the designated distance can result in a violation of the FCC Exposure Limit. Exceeding FCC levels is proven to result in burns, sterility, and brain damage. Learn more about fine print instructions at Show The Fine Print.Org.
Remember that these “minimum distances” in the cell phone manuals do not protect you from nonthermal effects such as sperm damage, damaged brain cells and increased brain cancer risk. Federal guidelines are set thousands of times too high to protect from these “nonthermal” effects from long term low level cumulative exposures.
Special Note for Pregnant Women: It is especially important that pregnant women reduce cell phone exposures because research has shown cell phone radiation can damage to the brain and reproductive system in developing pregnancies. To learn more, please go to the Baby Safe Project.
What about WiFi Internet at home and baby monitors? Interested in learning about other wireless technologies and how to use them in wiser ways? Read our webpage on Safe Technology At Home.